At the LSVb we hear often that our international students have problems in getting their deposits back. It is important to stay on top of the state of your accommodation to ensure you have the best chance possible at receiving your deposit back. This includes a few steps:
1. Ensure you record the state of the accommodation as soon as you move in and take video or photographic evidence of anything that you perceive to be damaged.
2. Let your landlord or agency know immediately through writing about the problems with the accommodation.
3. Make sure to fix small things yourselves. This includes breakages up to a replacement cost of around €100. Any structural problems are the responsibility of the landlord.
4. Leave the accommodation in good, clean conditions.
5. Wait for your landlord to pay the deposit back. This can take between 1 and 3 months depending on the accommodation.